Sunday, November 4, 2012

my favortie coat {is mine again}...

For me, clothes have been a constant - life long battle. There are few pieces of clothes I've ever loved. There are many more than I have hated. There's some I bought and never wore. In between have been the ones I've been wearing for years. Simple, hiding, solid colored clothes.

But this post is about one coat in particular and our journey together.

Our {the coat and I's} journey started in college - maybe 2003/2004. Definitely by the fall of 2004 we were a pair because there is this awesome proof...

Burton Women's Size M.
Apple Cup 2004. Cheeseburger apparently mandatory.
 
For years it was the only coat I ever had. And then I started gaining weight and I started needing new coats...
 
Precision Mountainware Men's Size M.

North Face Women's Size L.
 
The Black North Face had become my coat but my beloved Burton always sat in the back of my closet. Until one day...
 
I gave my Burton coat to one of my best friends.
 
Sabrina in the Burton coat. My in my NF coat.
 
I didn't believe that I'd ever wear it again but I remember saying as I handed it over "If I ever get back down to that size - I might have to ask for it back". I'm sure inside I rolled my eyes, and she did too. She's a size tiny and I was a size not tiny. I wanted to have to ask for my coat back but I didn't think I would have too...
 
But then, this new life of mine started. The inches melted off, the weight went down and my desire to have my beloved coat back grew big enough that I worked up the courage to ask for my coat back. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I wrote this sappy email about how much this coat meant to me. I stated that it was something from my past that I never thought I would accomplish in my future. It brings back memories for me that are wonderful. This coat truly is my favorite coat and thanks to the kindess of one of my best friends - it is mine again.
 

It may be a little tight in the chest and I probably couldn't fit a sweatshirt under it like I used to be able too but I can wear it.
 
Fingers crossed {that one day it might be a bit too big}...

No comments:

Post a Comment