Tuesday, November 6, 2012

the definitions of...

 
 
PCOS {Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome}
PCOD {Polycystic Ovarian Disorder}

One of the biggest struggles with PCOS is informing people what it is really about, if we even know ourselves. PCOS is a crazy web of various symptoms that can seem like "normal" symptoms but when added together, they can equal PCOS.

SYMPTOMS OF PCOS            * = symptoms I have
  • Infertility*
  • Infrequent, absent and/or irregular menstrual periods*
  • Hirsutism {increased hair growth on the face*, chest, stomach*, back, thumbs, or toes*}*
  • Cysts on the ovaries*
  • Acne, oily skin, or dandruff*
  • Weight gain or obesity, usually with extra weight around the waist*
  • Male pattern baldness or thinning hair
  • Patches of skin on the neck, arms, breasts, or thighs that are think and dark brown/black*
  • Skin tags - excess flaps of skin in the armpits or neck*
  • Pelvic pain
  • Anxiety or depression*
  • Sleep apnea
Growing up, almost all of the symptoms I had were considered "normal". What teenager doesn't get oily skin? Gain weight? Is depressed? The problem is my family, myself, and my doctors did not know that we are looking for anything. So we carried on. We didn't know.

Fast forward.

Part of my goal of writing this blog is to inform others. That's also why I like talking about it. I honestly feel that the more people I inform of PCOS and it's symptoms - the more people I can help. If I write or talk to 5 people and they heard of the symptoms and they think of someone in their lives that could be affected by PCOS and they talk to them - then I have helped.

Fingers crossed {that I can do a good job informing and educating others}

No comments:

Post a Comment